July 8, 2010

Holiday Debt?

Dear Bloggers,


Yes I know that my blog is late but I had to work this weekend therefor my blogs might become a little less frequent. As I have to take care of myself I was not able to write earlier. I had a deep conversation about the summer holiday with one of my passengers. We did not go to a foreign country when I was young and when my parents had a good year we did go to a theme park. But I never had the feling that my holiday was worse then anyone else in my class. And I grew up in a tourist place.


It shocked me that people will put themselves in debt for a holiday and all because of the fact that they have to show off to the neighbors and friends. I think that it is sad that you live a higher standard then you are able to afford. There is nothing wrong with a smaller house or a smaller car. I am amazed how stupid my generation has become.

For parents with children going to school the summer holiday is likely to leave them with further debt. Costs for food, caretakers, entertainment, and holiday trips will all add expense to an already stretched budget for many families.

Up to 36 per cent of parents with children at school say they will end up in debt at the end of the summer holiday. Also predicted that a larger number of families will struggle already during this summer.

Research shows the apparent willingness of families to go into debt to cover the cost of the summer holidays. Worryingly 4 per cent will even borrow the money from a doorstep lender offering “quick fix” loans and risk owing a huge amount of interest.”


While many are reporting they will borrow money or go into more debt pulling from other personal funds, many are going to be doing without. Children will have to accept not attending theme parks, traveling, or even attending the cinema. More than 40 per cent of parents reported they would not be able to afford a theme park, 19 per cent would not be able to afford the cinema, and 10 per cent would not be able to afford for their children to go swimming.


Besides doing without or borrowing funds, 16 per cent admitted they would add debt to a credit card, 14 per cent will use their overdraft and 8 per cent will borrow from family.

Experts have suggested that families should attempt to stay within their financial means, and look for creative ways to spend time together that will not lead to more debt.

The Old Sailor,

2 comments:

  1. Goedemiddag Old Sailor,

    U heeft het druk lees ik,
    wel oppassen met dit warme weer hoor,

    dat zou ik dus nooit doen me in de schulden steken voor een vakantie,
    mij maakt het niet uit wat ze van me vinden,
    ik weet immers zelf wel wie ik ben ;)
    Hier is de keuze makkelijk we gaan mss alleen wat dagjes weg,
    m'n zoon wil niet lang van huis,
    hij zegt thuis heb ik alles we wonen ook in een toeristen plaatsje aan het ijsselmeer,en voor het weer hoeven we ook niet naar het buitenland,
    ergens heeft ie nog gelijk ook.
    dat ie klein was zijn we in heel veel landen geweest en bijna alle pretparken,
    hij had altijd last van heimwee,
    hij is nu 18 jaar maar laat hem nog niet graag alleen thuis, erg he ;)

    ik wens u een heel fijn weekend,
    veel drinken en als u in de zon gaat,
    goed laten insmeren;))

    groetjes
    que.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geachte Vrouwe Que,
    U beschrijft precies wat ik bedoel, mijn kinderen voelen zich niet minder gelukkig want we gaan nog genoeg leuke dingen doen. Zoals bijvoorbeeld aan het IJselmeer vertoeven met een koelbox en een rubberboot. Naderhand BBQ en een pilsje voor paps en we hebben weer een geweldige dag gehad.
    The Old Sailor.

    ReplyDelete

Reageren mag......graag zelfs, maar houd het wel netjes.
Reactions are fine.....you are very welcome, but do not abuse the language

Talking and Writing

Dear Bloggers,   Why is it that some folks (such as myself and my daughter) talk so much? This visit, I am learning how I process throug...